Monday, February 16, 2009

No. 231: off the record

you've got to know that we will change and keep it off the record...

It's been a strange day. I woke up late, drove to class b/c it's in Olin and sat through the lecture taking notes without really absorbing anything. Section will clear it up on Wednesday so I'm not that worried. I meant to nap but ended up just working through til my next class, a workshop, only tolerable b/c of Hannah. Great names think alike, I suppose? Anyway, afterward, us dissatisfied would be workshopped went to Silk Road and really talked about our stories.

This weekend was oddly nice. Matt was sick so I went home to him for Valentine's day. It was not what I had anticipated but it was extremely enjoyable nonetheless. We made dinner together, ate with his family. It felt a little like the summer after Senior year except Mrs. P was significantly less hostile. I got a lot done this weekend, too, although less than I thought I was doing.

There's a lot more reading this semester than ever before. While that's a little frazzling b/c I don't get to spend as much time with the book as I'd like to, I'm also reading through a lot of excellent novels and things I'd been meaning to read anyway. I've become a believer in Salinger, though I think he makes himself too obvious. Still, I appreciate his love for smokers b/c they provide interesting plot details and kill time. I appreciate his love for italics now, although it initially bothered me. It's just that he gets excessive with it. But for the sake of internal voice, it plays out well. Mrs. Glass is wonderful in Franny & Zooey and it's because of her italics and her worrying and smoking.

God has been gracious to me today regarding school work and timing, etc. I'm near finished with the book I've got to write an essay on, and the due date of the essay itself was moved back a day. The novel I forgot I had to read isn't due until next week and it's much shorter than I thought it was and actually had me engrossed in the first 8 pages. We'll see if it delivers but it will be nice to actually have time to sit and read it as opposed to wing through it.

However, for some reason I've felt sloppy lately, and disconnected, in most things, notably excluding Matt and Mommy. The feeling is a little like being on a floaty raft in the middle of a big lake. You're on something that will not stop floating but you're a long way from shore and the figures you were using to mark you distance are getting kinda fuzzy. If that makes any sense.

It's been a while since I blogged but that's about all I've got. Back to work. I'll be ready for spring break when it comes, that's for sure.

HS

No comments: